Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Surgery Update...It wasn't so bad afterall

As we all know, I had to have surgery yesterday but I did have a month to prepare for it which I feel may have been a good thing.  There was only 4 times the whole month that I just let it get to me.  Once was the day he said I had to have it done, another time when they called to preregister me and the time after that, I don't know what got to me that day.  Yesterday was the 4th time I got upset about it.  I think what upset me most about it yesterday was the surgery center was just 2 floors down from the Fertility Center and it made me mad that I was there for Surgery and not for an IUI.  We should have been able to start IUI's back this month had I not had to have surgery but now, we have to wait till next month.

On Sunday, I wasn't allowed to eat anything but chicken or beef broth, Popsicles and jello.  At 3pm, I had to start a bowel prep and drink Magnesium Citrate.  That stuff was horrible and I ended up throwing half of it up about an hour and a half later.  It took forever to kick in so we wondered if I had thrown too much up and if it was going to even work but finally around 12am, it started therefore I didn't get much sleep that night at all.  Anyways, when we got there, they got all my info and took me back.  First thing they say is they need a pregnancy test.  I totally get that they have to do that but that kind of upset me all in itself.  I had explained to the nurse that it was impossible but had to do what I had to do.  She had me to do it anyways as expected. When I came back out, I was a little teary eyed.  Just because I knew what was fixing to take place and also doing a stupid pregnancy test was just frustrating.  Once they got me back to my prep room, the nurse asked questions and I answered them then the anesthesiologist and anesthesiologist nurse came in to discuss anesthesiology to me and start my IV.  I was telling the nurse part of the reason I was nervous was because the worse thing medically that had ever happened to me was when I was a kid in the 5th grade that I got food poisoning and was in the hospital several days with that.  She just talked to me and comforted me.  After the IV got started, they gave me a nausea pill, Xanax to calm my nerves, and a nausea patch behind my ear.  Everyone there was wonderful at trying to put me to ease.  My Trentie got to come back with me for a few minutes before they took me to the operating room which made me very happy.  They had told me that they would not actually put me to sleep until after we got into the operating room,  well, they made Trent leave and was getting ready to push me to the operating room and they started putting something in my IV.  I had asked if that was the stuff that would put me to sleep and they said no, it would just make me loopy.  I personally feel like it done more than made me loopy.  By the time I got to the operating room, I feel like I was already almost out of it.  I barely remember being wheeled into the operating room.  The very last thing I remember is barely hearing them tell me I was in the operating room and then putting a mask over my face telling me I would smell something that stunk.  Well, they are right, it did stink but I didn't smell it long because after only 3 or 4 breaths, I was out of it. 

Anyways, I guess everyone is by now wondering what the results showed.  Well, for the past month, I have had a mixture of emotions on them not finding anything wrong and us wasting all this money on nothing.  I had wondered well, if they didn't find anything, it still wouldn't give us answers and then I would have to move on to another kind of surgeon to hopefully get answers.  I have had mixed emotions because I didn't want anything to be wrong with me but I also wanted to know where the pain and discomfort was coming from.  Again, I didn't want anything to be wrong but then again, I had kind of hoped they would find something and it would give us answers as to why we haven't ended up pregnant yet.  Honestly though, all along I could have sworn they wouldn't find anything.  I honest to God didn't think they would find a thing wrong.  Well, come to find out, I was totally wrong.  Thank God it was nothing major but, there was problems there.  I do have a mild case of endometriosis.  He only saw 3 spots of it and removed them all.  He also found a fibroid which he removed.  When we had discussed surgery, he had told me that we would be doing Hysteroscopy and a Laproscopy so I was totally expecting those however, while he was in there, he also done a D&C.  He had gave us before and after pictures of the things he done and on the pictures that show where he done the D&C, you can see a bunch of white cloudy looking stuff and then the after was totally clear.  I still don't know the reasoning in the D&C but I have to follow up with him in 2 weeks and I will find out then what made him do that.  It just makes me wonder if my uterus just wasn't good a clear for us to get pregnant before on top of the mild endometriosis that we didn't know I had.  I also wonder if the endometriosis that he removed was on the right side and that possibly being the cause of my pain and discomfort.  I am just hope full that with the combination of things that he removed that we will be able to get pregnant now.

The doctor did say though that if my pain and discomfort continued in my right side, it would most likely be due to the fact that my appendix is actually stretched and it is covering my pelvic region. He said the appendix looked perfectly healthy that it was just stretched over my pelvic region which could also be a cause of the pain and discomfort that I have had on and off for a year.

All in all, surgery was no where near as bad as what I expected it to be.  Once I got to the recovery room, they gave me more nausea medicine and also gave me more pain meds.  Trent said it must have taken me forever to wake up because surgery started at 7:30 and Dr. Hill went and talked to Trent at about 8:15 but he wasn't able to come back with me until about 10:00 or 10:30.  Of course, the anesthesia added to the sleepiness but I think part of it was because I was just so dead beat exhausted from not sleeping Sunday night. 

I have been sore trying to get up and down to the bathroom.  That is the only times I am actually trying to get up for now.  While I am laying down for the most part, I am fine.  I am now starting to feel the gas rising to my shoulders because at times, they are just killing me in pain.  That was a side effect that I was aware of though so I guess it's really no big deal but is painful at times.

Anyways, just wanted to update everyone on how the surgery and everything went.  Thanks again for all the love and thoughtfulness to me before and during the surgery.

1 comment:

Christina Trull said...

I am so glad everything went ok. Maybe this will take care of your problem and the next blog will be about really good news! You guys have been on my mind a lot lately so just know that I love you and am thinking about you daily!!