Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saying Goodbye to D.C.

Even though we totally wore ourselves out, it was so saddening to wake up and know that we had to leave D.C.  We were also saddened that we were leaving today and it was starting the main events of Police Week and we would be missing it all.  We got on the Metro and headed to the airport.  Once we arrived at the airport, we were walking into the area to check in and we look out the glass windows and see......

A bunch of police officers lined up on their motorcycles and something else you can't see in this picture is a bunch of officers standing over to the left side.  This literally brought a tear to my eyes.  I was so saddened we were leaving Police Week behind. 

Just as we un boarded the plane on the runway area when we arrived in D.C., we also boarded the plane going home on the runway area.  It was very interesting to say the least because instead of being in an actual terminal area, it was kind of like we were in a basement area of the airport and we were bussed to our plane on the runway area.
Once we got on the plane, I pulled out the camera and faced it towards me and Trent.  I laid my head over on him and closed my eyes.  I told him to show me how he feels leaving D.C. and this is what I got.....
No, he was not faking that yawn.  He was truly yawning.  I would say D.C. absolutely wore us out.  We really did have a great time though and hated to leave.
As we were taking off, I was told to put my camera away.  I have only been told once before that I had to turn my camera off.  I know you aren't supposed to have electronics on but I don't really understand the camera thing.  Anyways, as we were taking off, I snuck a picture.

This picture is obviously the Pentagon but at the top right of the picture is also Arlington Cemetery.  I wish I would have thought to get a picture of Arlington Cemetery and the Changing of the Guards area while taking off but I snuck the Pentagon picture as it was and was trying to hurry up.

Sadly enough, our trip ended here. 

Instead of making another blog, I am going to put a couple of extra things about the trip at the end here.  First of all, we liked all the different types of Police Officers there so we took several Police car pictures. 



If we would have thought, we could have taken many more kinds but didn't.

The last thing I can really think to talk about is how great the motel was.  We stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott on Vermont Ave.  We were about a 10 -15 minute walk from the White House and we were about 3 blocks away from 2 different Metro stations.  Unfortunately, we normally like a nice city view from the room but we didn't have that at this motel but by no means would that make me rate it any differently.  The biggest thing I can say is this is absolutely the quietest motel I have EVER stayed at.  For the longest, we wondered if there was anyone else staying on the same floor as us.  We later found out that the motel was totally booked at least 1 night that we were there.  Finally on the 3rd day we were there, I heard life on the other side of the wall but the only thing I heard was when I was in the bathroom, I heard a shower going from another room.  That was absolutely the ONLY thing I heard from anyone while we were there.  Never the first time did we hear anyone roaming the halls, running or screaming.  Another huge benefit that I had already mentioned was the CVS that was attached to the motel.  That was very convenient.  We used it several times while there.  Every room does have a refrigerator, freezer, stove, and microwave.  Something else they have that we didn't use is you can turn in a grocery list and the motel staff will go shopping for you and put it on a room bill for you.  I thought that was pretty neat.  If anyone goes to D.C., I would highly recommend this motel.  It was wonderful and we totally enjoyed our trip and the comfort of our motel room.

Again, we will definitely return one day and this time, we will plan it specifically around Police Week so we can go to all of the events they have for Police Week.  I loved D.C. and all of the history to it and Police Week will make it just that much greater.  Next time we go, we want to take a night tour, see the Archives, Watergate, and see some of the Museums that we didn't actually get to go in.

No comments: