Monday, September 19, 2011

Hebrews 11:1 - Next Steps

Hebrews 11:1  Faith is the assurance of things hoped for but not yet seen.  As we get closer and closer to procedure, we have to keep up our faith that it will work. 

I talked to the doctors office today to let them know that CD 1 was on Saturday and they called in my medicine and I will officially start it today. 

Clomid 50mg. 5 pills CD's 3-7. Notice it says may result in Multiple
Pregnancy (twins, etc) :)
They only prescribed me 50mg therefore I am hoping I don't have horrible side effects from it.  I have heard of people being put on 100mg and 150mg so it seems they are starting me at small doses.  I imagine this is being done because we have not found any fertility problems with me therefore I am ONLY taking this medication to try to induce egg production.  I imagine the higher doses are for the people who don't ovulate at all therefore the higher doses make them ovulate to where we have not found that problem with me.  I imagine the higher doses would also be for those who have several failed IUI's.  SIDE EFFECTS: hot flashes, nausea, vomiting, breast tenderness, dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, or mood changes.  SEVERE SIDE EFFECTS:  Stomach or pelvic pain, bloating, or blurred vision.

Trent showing how he feels about me starting medication.
My reaction to getting ready to start medication. 
 I just love us.
Just look at that Pretty face.  He is momma's boy.
Hmm wonder what he is gonna think about a baby?
My cycles normally range from 27- 33 days therefore they said it is a little difficult to tell what day to do my ultrasound for.  We ended up scheduling the first ultrasound appointment for CD 13 which is September 29th.  On that day, we will do the ultrasound to check the size of follicles on my ovaries to see if they are ready for ovulation.  If they are, we will then do the HSG trigger shot to stimulate the ovaries to release the eggs.  The next day, we will then go back in for the IUI.  If my follicles are NOT ready for ovulation, since my cycle days range, we will then do repeat ultrasounds on multiple days until we see that the follicles are ready for ovulation.  Again, after they are ready, we will do the HSG trigger shot and the next day return for IUI.  Hopefully my follicles will be ready on the first Ultrasound day that way we are not having to return to Nashville numerous days just for ultrasounds. 

A couple of people have asked how the ultrasound can tell if you are ready for ovulation so I will briefly explain it so that maybe you can better understand it.  Honestly, I didn't know how it all worked until I had an ultrasound done for this previously when our whole journey first started.  When it is time for ovulation, you get follicles on your ovaries.  The follicles hold the egg.  To produce good eggs for ovulation, they try to see that the follicles are of a certain size.  If the follicles are small, that means that it is not time for ovulation quiet yet and as they get bigger, you can tell that it is about time for the egg to be released from the follice.  Therefore when they do the ultrasound for IUI, they know once the egg gets a certain size, that is when you do the HSG trigger shot to release the egg and then that next day or 2 is going to be the most fertile days since the egg has just been released.  Hope this all makes a little bit of since to everyone. 

They also prescribed me Ovidrel Injection (HSG trigger shot).  I thought this was something that they would just keep in their office and give to the patients that need it but apparently, they prescribe it to the patient and we take it in on days of ultrasounds just in case that is the day we need it.  This shot scares me.  I have heard the needles are HUGE.  I HATE needles. EEK!!!  My pharmacy doesn't keep this in stock so they had to order it and it will be in tomorrow.  Thank GOD, it is only one injection of it that we have to take because it is $80 something just for one.  Hopefully will will get pregnant the first time around since this shot itself is almost $100 and will have to be done with each time we do the procedure.  Anywho, it ALSO says that It could result in a multiple pregnancy such as twins or triplets.  I have heard that twins come from the females side but it is our generation on EVERY side of the family including Trent's.  There are twins on both my mom and dads sides AND twins on both Trent's mom and dad's side.  AND BOTH of the medications I am on could cause multiple(s).  Sounds to me like we are bound to have twins.  lol.  :)

Anywho, since I updated everyone the other day, I figured I would continue to keep everyone updated on our upcoming procedure.  WOW, We can't believe we will be going to the Doctor in only 10 days which means if my follicles are the size they should be that day, we will be doing IUI in ONLY 11 days!!!

Keep us in your Prayers, we're so close to achieving parenthood it just honestly almost doesn't feel real.

3 comments:

Smith1230 said...

:)

Shannon Hairr said...

I was on Clomid to get pregnant with both my girls. I think mine was around 100mg but I didn't ovulate with any regularity so it was a crap shoot without the medicine. I had no side effects and they monitored my ovaries for cysts periodically. Good luck - we are praying for you guys!!!

The Haddock's said...

Thank yall for the comments. Shannon, it is GREAT to hear you were on it with no side effects. Today is day 2 of taking it and both days I have had a head ache after taking it. Todays was MUCH worse than yesterdays. Other than that, I don't really think I have any yet. I have had what seems to be 2 hot flashes which is VERY abnormal for me because if I get hot, there is something wrong. They did not last long at all though.