Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snowy snowy freezing mess!

Well this snow has been lovely but DEFINITELY time for it to go.

So it all started with me watching the weather before heading to work Friday morning. It showed it would start a little around 12 but not too bad until a little later in the afternoon (1 or 2pm) for our area. I went to work with the intentions of leaving before I got stranded since I had never drove in it before. I looked outside and it wasn't doing anything. The next thing I know, I look outside at 10:30 and the roads are covered and traffic is barely moving. Sudden freak out set in. What normally takes me 30 minutes to drive from work to home took me about an hour and 5 minutes. I get home safe and sound and Trent is sleeping due to him having to work on Friday night. He has always said he loves snow cream so I made him a surprise for when he got up. I had some Vanilla and Chocolate Snow cream made. This was the first time I had ever made some and I didn't do bad at all. Even with my chocolate experiment. I even have some fresh snow in my freezer so I can make more when we run out.

Well Trent goes to work and slides all over the place trying to leave our house before he ever even got off of our road, almost hitting a mail box or two. By this time it was about 6 inches of snow with tons of sleet and freezing rain on top of the snow. He safely made it to work and got to work from the department and only had to go out in the mess once thankfully.

At about 8:30 our electricity went out due to ice making branches fall on power lines and then stayed out for about 14 hours. Talking about one boring freezing night just me and the Bully baby. We just dozed in the recliner all covered up with 5 candles lit for lighting. I told Trent on the way home from work to stop by WalMart and get a Kerosene Heater. No such luck. They CLAIMED (we will get to that later) they were out. By the time Trent got home from work, we went to bed wearing sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, hoodie on our heads, and 4 blankets. We were actually pretty warm after bundeling up and cuddling like that. Man I wish we had a picture of that. House temperature was down in 50's brr way too cold. Anyways, it made me remember back to last year when we were in this same situation except it wasn't snow/ice storm it was our unit tore up on us. I insisted we find a Kerosene heater from somewhere. We went to a Cancer Benefit today and coming home we had to stop at WalMart to pick something up and low and behold what do I walk right past. Something they earlier claimed they did not have. Yep you got it right, the very last Kerosene Heater they had. It was actually pretty funny because me and one other person ran up on it at the same time and I GOT TO IT FIRST. Needless to say, I thought we were gonna have to fight over it. They just stood there and stared me down and I just went pushing it on down the aisle. Oh well at least I won it. lol.

Here are some pics. Trentie was firing it up for the first time.

Bullet absolutely did not know what to think about it. He sniffed of it and ran off to his chair.

After firing it up, about 5 minutes later, our fire alarm started going off. Trent said well at least we know that it works. Other than that, it was wonderful. Warmed us up real good. We didn't run it too long so that we could save the fuel for the just in case the power went out tonight to. We got the last heater and the last bottle of Kerosene so we have to use it sparingly until we can get some more. We sure do love love love it though and now have it just in case there are anymore heating surprises in the future cause God knows we did not expect the past 2 heating surprises.
Anyways, here are some pictures of the snow.
Here is our Home from the road. Some snow hit the camera as you can tell on the lens.


I know you cant tell but I am actually standing in the road and looking straight ahead is the road. This is why I freaked coming home from work and Trent about took out a few mailboxes going to work.


This is Saturday morning before going to bed. Icicles hanging off of our porch.

There was ice build up everywhere. This is the trees/bushes outside our kitchen window. There is big branches off of trees all over town and that is why we lost power. Thanks to them falling on power lines

This is the road off of our road. Solid nasty ice. As you can see straight ahead, all the tree limbs down.

Anyways, I reckon that is enough of our snow experience. I hope everyone else stayed in and stayed safe and warm with their power in great working fashion. lol.

No comments: