Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dr. Haddock - Paging - Dr. Haddock


By the way, Trent came up with the title as he is so proud of himself.  Continue reading to see why.
 
So, tonight was the night I was supposed to give myself the Ovidrel trigger shot.  On Wednesday when they said I may have to give it to myself, I was really dreading it.  I really didn't want to give myself a shot in my stomach.  I had asked Trent if he wanted to do it and he just gave me a look like I was crazy.  Well, when we returned to the office on Friday and they confirmed I would definitely be giving myself a shot, I was still somewhat nervous about it but after a couple of hours of it sinking in, I became ok with it.  I had asked Trent again several times between yesterday and today if he wanted to give it to me and he just kept saying he would be nervous but I could tell a part of him might have wanted to do it.  Anyways, they told me to do the shot 36 hours before IUI.  IUI is scheduled for 9:30 Monday morning therefore I was supposed to take it at 9:30 tonight.  We figured it wouldn't hurt anything to take it at 10 though so the plan was to take it at 10 as Trent would be at work and it would be easier for him to come by the later it was.  Of course, he got a call and called me at about 9:55 and asked if I was going to take it right at 10.  I told him I needed to and asked him how quickly he could get here.  He said he had just got off the call and was on his way but it would be about 10:10 or 10:15 before he could get here.  I then asked him if he wanted to be here for it and in a cute little silly voice he said "yeah, don't ya want me to be there?"  I could really tell by the way he said it that he really wanted to be here.  Then I asked him again if he was going to give it to me and he responded again in the cutest little silly happy voice "I am going to be nervous but yeah, I want to be a part of it as much as I can".  I immediately got the biggest smile on my face and said, ok, but you have to hurry home.  I need to take it as soon as possible.  I ended up taking the shot about 45 minutes later than what they told me to but I really  wanted him to be able to be a part of it.  
 

Holding the shot before giving it to me.
 I was so incredibly proud of him.  I swear he was a Pro at it.  You would think he is a nurse and gives shots all the time.  I didn't feel a thing.  The only thing I could feel was the medicine being pushed in.  I now feel 110% confident that God forbid this cycle fails, if we get switched to the injections, Trent can give me my daily shots.  I honestly was a little more nervous about him giving me the shot than I was giving myself the shot just because I knew he was nervous.  I used to give myself allergy shots in my arm so I had at least given myself some before so thought this shouldn't be a big deal.  When I would give myself the allergy shots though, I could never do the needle like a dart in my skin like nurses do it.  I would just put the needle on my skin and then push it in.  Trent on the other hand, as I said, he was a Pro.  He threw the needle in like it was a dart and it was done and over with in no time.  I couldn't believe how easy it was after it was all done and over with.  I can't say how proud of him I am and so happy that he was able to a part of it. 

I look very rough as I had just gotten out of the shower and
gotten my hair dried but this was right after the shot.
Now, some thoughts on this IUI cycle timing.  I don't know if you all remember or not but in the past I have been paranoid about the timing of the IUI.  You are supposed to ovulate 24 - 36 hours after the trigger shot.  All of my IUI's have been about 24 - 29 hours after the trigger shot.  I have always wanted to put more time between the 2 but it has never worked out to where we could put this big of a gap between the shot and the IUI.  I am excited to see how this round goes putting that 36 hour gap in there as I have always wanted.  I have read that frozen and thawed sperm does not live as long as fresh sperm.  My fertility center however said they have not heard this before and have never noticed a difference in the procedures they have done.  If my readings are correct though, this larger gap could possibly make all the difference in the world.  If I ovulate around the 36 hour mark and not the 24 hour mark then if we are doing the IUI at the 24 hour mark and the sperm doesn't live as long as fresh, who knows they could have been dying off and not being there when I ovulate.  Of course, this is all just my thought process but as I said, I am very excited to see what happens this round as I am getting what I have always wanted with this larger gap.  My fertility center is not this way but I have ready that some fertility centers do ALL IUI's 36 hours after the trigger shot.  My fertility center says as long as it is 24 hours later, that is good enough.  Since I was a little big later taking the shot than what they told me to do, by the time we do IUI, we will have a 35 hour gap instead of the 36 hour gap they said but surely, just an hour difference isn't going to be the make or break deal. 

I haven't said anything yet as to when we will be testing.  They normally say test 2 weeks after the trigger shot and that would put us testing on the 27th however me and Trent are in agreeance that since we had to do the shot so late today that we will wait until the 28th to test.  This will be my sisters birthday so hopefully Amber will find out that she will be an Auntie on her birthday.  We absolutely can't wait for the day that we can share the news with everyone that we will finally be parents and are expecting "Our favorite what IF"  IF = Infertility.  I like the saying for our future child "You will always be our favorite what IF" because infertility definitely makes you say what IF this or what IF that.

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

No comments: