Friday, October 12, 2012

Follicular Ultrasound - IUI #7 - Awareness Updates

Just a quick update.  Today went well.  They said the follicles was definitely getting bigger however, I still was not ready.  I totally expected that.  I didn't think I would be ready today.  The follicles have grown from Wednesday having 3 on the right side 2 at 12mm and 1 at 13mm and 1 on the left side at 10mm.  Today, the 3 on the right side was measuring 1 at 17mm, 1 at 16mm and 1 at 14.5mm.  The one on the left side was showing < 10mm.  One of two things happened.  1) I looked at the paper wrong Wednesday and it wasn't actually 10mm or 2) the one on the left side shrunk.  Who knows which one it really is.  I guess I will find out Monday when I get copies of my ultrasound report.  I will be giving myself the Ovidrell Trigger shot late tomorrow night and we will be going in for IUI on Monday morning.  We got confirmation today that follicles do grow 1-2mm per day.  The progress of 2 of mine are showing 2mm a day and 1 of them is showing progress of only about 1mm per day so by tomorrow when I trigger, my follicles should be approx 19mm, 18mm, and 15-16mm.  Even after I trigger though, the follicles will continue to grow until actual ovulation and the eggs release.  After triggering, it takes 24-36 hours to actually ovulate so by the time of ovulation, my eggs should be approx 21mm, 20mm, and maybe 17-18mm.  Of course, this is all my calculations however, they did say by the time of the IUI on Monday I will have 2 good eggs and possibly 3.  These follicles are smaller than what we are used to but they like to see them at at least 18mm so as long as they are that, we aren't complaining.  The one at 21mm is about normal for me.  My follicle is usually above 20 and normally around 23-24mm.  Also, something I didn't mention anything about the other day was they said my endometrial lining was still too thin at only 5.3mm but today that has improved up to 8mm and will continue to thicken until ovulation so they are no longer worried about that. 

I just wanted to let everyone know how today went and let everyone know that we will definitely be doing IUI this month since as of Wednesday, we were unsure how I would respond and thought we may have to cancel this cycle.  We will update everyone Monday and let you know how the actual IUI goes.

Also, while I am thinking about it, I will mention the things I am trying to do to raise awareness as I mentioned a couple of blogs ago that I would like to do. 
1)  Some of you may have already seen that I posted this on facebook so it may be a repeat but I wanted to share it hear also. I have gotten in contact with a lady in Nashville who has also been trying to get pregnant for 3.5 years and about 2 years ago she started an infertility support group because she wanted to help others.  I told her my desires to help others and raise awareness for this nasty disease and told her I had considered a 5k.  She said she wanted to meet with me and brainstorm on what we could come up with together and do.  In saying that, I will most likely join her infertility support group the first Tuesday in November and meet her.  Again, this may go no where but I am happy and excited to meet her and see what possibilities could possibly open up through us meeting.
2)  At work, the marketing department sent out an email concerning something they were doing this Saturday called "A Walk to Remember" for those who have had a miscarriage, still birth or lost a child as a newborn.  I light bulb went off in my head and I thought, if they can do a walk for this, why not do a walk for Infertility Awareness in April of next year around National Infertility Awareness week.  I went to the Marketing department and talked to the only person I knew there and she said they can't plan that however, she did give me the ladies name and extension that is in charge of Women's services at the hospital and said she would be the one I would talk to and try to get something together with her.  The lady is actually out of work this week so I have been unable to talk to her but I will be calling her next week to see what I can get done.
3)  There is a lady I am friends with on Facebook.  My parents went to church with her and she actually has a business called Beads 4 U.  (look her up).  She makes bracelets, necklaces, etc.  I had contacted her and asked her if she could make me an infertility awareness bracelet and also, I may buy a couple and do a give away next year around Infertility Awareness week and give one away to help raise awareness.  She told me to give her a couple days to see what she could come up with so once I get one, I will post for everyone to see and if you would like one, you can let me know or you could contact her.  Also, when it comes time for infertility awareness week next year, I am hopeful that I can draw attention to my blog to raise awareness and do the give away from here.  Just a thought.

Anyways, I am done talking now, just wanted to update everyone on what all is going on with us and this ol' journey we are on.

No comments: